[pmwiki-users] PmWiki and Spam

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Mon Jan 14 11:21:28 CST 2008

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:46:48AM -0500, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
>> After I installed "plain sight" passwords (revealed in a GroupHeader)
>> all of my spam stopped.
>>
>> See an example at: http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/Guest/Passwords
>
> I think this works for many typical sites, because people aren't
> likely to confuse the "here's the password for the site" as being
> the default configuration for PmWiki.  But the pmwiki.org site
> is the pre-eminent demo of the software, and so what people see
> on pmwiki.org is kinda what they expect for PmWiki.
>
> Pm

I think the goal of "on the site is same as out of the box" is laudable,
but one that we may not be able to meet and still function.

"With a few minor changes, as described, and working well," is better
than "If I use this engine, I'll have to fight spam 24/7/365."

Each place it differs from the default install, add a note stating this,
and linking to a page that lists and explains those differences. This is
where we could explain why the password is plain text.

Sandy