[pmwiki-users] integrating google charts

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Thu Jan 10 08:56:32 CST 2008

> From: Dr Fred C <drfredc at verizon.net>
>
> With some limitations, to display a gchart in a wiki page, right click
> on the gchart in your browser and select "copy location".  Then
> (:includeurl <location> :) into your wiki page.  The downside of this is
> the chart comes in a portal that fills the rest of your wiki page box.
> You can enter text and stuff before it, but not after it.  Knowing
> pmwiki, there's probably a work around or option to get around this
> limitation...

To display a static chart, of course, you can just save the .png file
and attach it to the wiki.  :-)  Less work for Google that way!

>  Ideally your chart would be a fixed url that would allow you
> to dynamically change the chart and have it automatically show up
> changed in your wiki without having to change the chart's url.  However,
> things may not work this way.  In which case, if you change the gchart
> for some reason, you'll have to go and change the chart address in your
> wiki.

It seems to me the ideal would be to be able to set the chart parameters
in the wiki, either in a single tag or in a set of page text variables,
and call the API from a wiki tag, so that updating the wiki page would
update the chart.  So for the example at
http://code.google.com/apis/chart/#url_format the wiki tag might be
(:chart width=200 height=125 data=helloWorld type=line
xlabel=Mar,Apr,May,June,July ylabel="50 Kb":)

I'm not volunteering to write it, but it seems fairly straightforward...
famous last words... :-)

BTW, you can also do a simple bar chart as a pagelist, by stretching a
1-pixel image for the bars:

(:pagelist group=Data list=normal fmt=#barchart:)

[[#barchart]]
||! {=$Name}||%height=10 width={=$:Value}%Attach:1pxred.gif ||
[[#barchartend]]

--Ben