[pmwiki-users] processing order

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 19:03:07 CST 2008

Monday, February 18, 2008, 9:38:36 PM, Peter & Melodye Bowers wrote:

> Any idea how this could happen?  How do echo statement outputs get cleared
> from a screen?  How does MarkupExpression() get called multiple times when
> there's only one call?  I'm sure it's something I'm doing, but I don't have
> a clue where to look...

It happens when the page gets saved, for instance.
The standard action=edit HandleEdit function will save the page
and then redirect to the page. The Redirect() kills the echos, since
they have been displayed just on the previous screen.
This may just explain why markup expressions get evaluated twice, i.e.
for each page display.

So if you test markup expressions by normal page edit and save, you
may get some side effects. I would think it would be easier for testing
and perhaps for using these Shell Mxs with  a little text input
form, and display results directly into the page, without saving the
page.

I added such a display input form to TextExtract, otherwise Fox is
doing it using foxaction=display. See the FoxCalculator as an example,
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxCalculator
which could be easily changed to take Mxs as text input and show you
the results.

  ~Hans