[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0-beta65 and InitialPasswords

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 13 11:09:47 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:50:33AM -0500, Aaron wrote:
>    I recently installed 2.2.0-beta65 and have been having great luck with
>    it.  However, I uncovered some funniness tonight with regards to the
>    information in the InitialPasswords page
>    (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/InitialPasswords).
>
>    From the page: "2. The change page attributes action is locked for the
>    Main, PmWiki, SiteAdmin, and Site workgroups."
>
>    Actually, I just ran a test using a new browser (IE, which I never use)
>    and found that without specifying a password, I can muck around with the
>    attr action on any page in Main and PmWiki.  SiteAdmin and Site seem to be
>    properly locked off.

Hmm, there appear to be several things going on here.  First, the "InitialPasswords"
page itself is misleading -- it's not part of the official PmWiki documentation,
nor has it ever been.  It appear to duplicate the information that is already
in PmWiki.PasswordsAdmin.  The remainder of the information ("What Passwords
to Set") should probably go in a Cookbook recipe and be linked to from the
PasswordsAdmin page.

>    Obviously, these are easily solvable problems on my end as a site admin,
>    but I wanted to send the feedback so that either the code could be changed
>    or the InitialPasswords page changed to reflect the behavior of 2.2.0.
>    [Full disclosure: I haven't tested 2.1.27, so I don't know if the behavior
>    described in InitialPasswords is correct for that version.]

You're correct that the information about the PmWiki and Main groups being
locked is no longer true -- we eliminated the locking in 2.1.beta15 but
apparently the documentation was never updated.

I think we should eliminate and/or refactor the InitialPasswords page,
and then update PasswordsAdmin with the correct information.

Thanks!