[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

Christian Ridderström christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:54:54 CDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:03:58AM +0200, Christian Ridderström wrote:
>> Maybe it's easier to come up with a rowspan markup for
>> (:table:)...(:tableend:)? Then your users could use that type of markup
>> when they must have a rowspan?
>
> ...there's already a rowspan markup for advanced tables... it's "rowspan".  :-)

>    (:table border=1:)
>    (:cellnr:) Hello
>    (:cell rowspan=3:) This cell spans three rows
>    (:cellnr:) Apple
>    (:cellnr:) Banana
>    (:cellnr:) Cherry
>    (:cell:) column2
>    (:tableend:)

>   +---------+--------------------------+
>   |Hello    |This cell spans three rows
>   +---------+                          |
>   |Apple    |                          |
>   +---------+                          |
>   |Banana   |                          |
>   +---------+--------------------------+
>   |Cherry   |  column2                 |
>   +---------+--------------------------+

Oops. But I'm glad I now know about it. I assume John already knew about
this, in which case he probably has a reason for wanting it
||...||-tables.

John, how often do people need a rowspan in the ||...||-tables?
Does the markup have to be really compact?  Could something really
verbose work? (e.g. like this?)

||Hello	||(:rowspan=3:)This cell spans three rows	||
||Apple	||Should continuing the rowspan here here imply a linebreak?	||
||Banana||Or perhaps imply a new paragraph?	||
||Cherry||column 2

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr