[pmwiki-users] Proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

Christian Ridderström christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:33:54 CDT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Peter Bowers wrote:

> You can see it at [[Cookbook/Text2Tbl]].  This is going to be most
> useful in 2 situations as I forsee:

> * for people who would like to compose their tables using some
>   column-divider other than || (i.e. put multiple spaces to line up your
>   columns visually or separate your columns with a semi-colon or
>   something)
>
> * for data which is already structured but not in a wiki-table and you
>   want to convert it to a wiki table (i.e., CSV or similar)
>
> Do note that this is NOT markup.  This provides ReplaceOnEdit patterns
> which actually alter your markup.

I think the idea of a ROE pattern is quite clever. Primarily I was
thinking of two use cases:

* The table was produced as the output of some simple program/calculation.
   In this case a ROE pattern will work well. The result after the
   replacement should probably depend on what table markups that are
   available, there are some interesting ideas in this thread.

* Writing the table on the wiki page without clutter, i.e. the markup
   should visually look like a table. It's ok if this doesn't allow
   all kinds of special formatting, e.g. horizontal alingment.

regards
/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr