[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 25 07:32:53 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 08:51:04PM +1200, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
> I like the idea of putting rowspan markup at the end of the text,
> rather than the beginning. An excellent suggestion.
>
> But I'm not sure about the \ character.

Probably another conflict, at least from the perspective of the core.
Creole uses '\\' to indicate line breaks, and of course PmWiki uses
backslashes at the end to indicate joined lines and line breaks as
well.  (It's very likely that '\\' in the middle of lines will become
line breaks as well, since Creole has it that way.)

> I see merit in, and would be happy with, any of the following.
> On the whole, I prefer A, then B, then C, but it is not a strong
> preference:

> ||text ||span rows |_|_|_||

> ||text ||span rows |=|=|=||

> ||text ||span rows |^|^|^||

None of these cause me any grief, but neither do any of them
feel like they're what I'd want to adopt in the core.  There's
also the possibility of ...

  ||text ||span rows +++||