[pmwiki-users] Cannot proceed with installation normally, please help

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 21 13:52:36 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:42:34PM -0400, Eugene S. Yarovoi wrote:
>    Regarding the suggestion that my web server does not have php set up
>    correctly: wouldn't my browser at least attempt to open the page instead
>    of doing the default action it takes when it does not recognize a file
>    type (download the file)?

Well, that's what the browser is doing -- it's trying to display
what it received from the webserver (which is a file it doesn't
understand, so it tries to download it).

>      http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~eyarovoi/gamedevwiki/pmwiki.php

Did you enable CGI on your account?
See http://www.seas.upenn.edu/cets/answers/cgi-scripts.html .

Also, it looks like this particular server requires PHP scripts to
be in a cgi-bin directory, which is somewhat peculiar.  Anyway, it
looks to me as though seas.upenn.edu has a non-standard PHP setup.

>      However, I can open other php pages (random example:
>      http://www.vim.org/download.php) just fine.

Note that since download.php is coming from a different server
(www.vim.org), it's unrelated to your seas.upenn.edu account.

Phrased slightly differently, keep in mind that PHP scripts are run
on the server, not in the browser.  Thus the browser doesn't actually
see the contents of a .php file -- it sees what that php file outputs
when it is run on the server.