[pmwiki-users] LinkCSSToolTip + Pagelist by Title takes long to parse...

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Thu Apr 17 10:43:21 CDT 2008

>  Creating a dynamic menu with 26 pagelist directives, each filtering
>  and sorting by page title seems like an inefficient approach.

Well. It was about the only thing I could afford, as far as my skills
are concerned...
You're completely right, obviously.
:-)

>  perhaps a markup expression which creates the abc sections is
>  still more efficient.

Such a thing would most probably be the right thing; possibly it would
be quite useful to many, as a handy navigation tool for sites in
general.
But coding it is *far* beyond my own ability.
As a matter of facts, I'm currently using toggledictindex[1] which has
an issue: it does not work as you place it into the header part of the
skin. For this reason (and for it's much nicer and flexible)
LinkCSSToolTip recipe would really be a step ahead. It's smooth.

>  You could create a static pagelist (or static pagelists) for quick viewing.
>  Obviously the problem is if you change a title or delete or add a page then
>  you've got to remember to regenerate the lists.
>
>  If that might be an acceptable compromise you can look at
>  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiShExamples#StaticPageListA

I've read and re-read that page.
On one hand it looks interesting, as it seems to solve the long
processing time issues.
On the other hand I cannot yet figure it out: it is all quite
technical, and I really did not understand how things would work.

Luigi

----

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DictIndex