[pmwiki-users] httpvariables & markupexpressions

Peter & Melodye Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Wed Apr 2 11:33:40 CDT 2008

> hi list
> I try to use getvars within markup expressions. This seams
> not to work:
> See:
> http://netstreams.org/devel/cms/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.WikiSandbox
>
> Anyone an idea what's the problem here?

I'm afraid this may be of limited help -- but at least it may put the
information in front of people who will be able to see more quickly where
the problem lies.  Looking at your Sandbox I immediately thought it must be
some issue with the order of markup processing and so looked up the various
Markup() rules which follow:

===(snip from httpvariables - yes there are 2 almost identical rules)===
# {$?!|@~var} http variable substitutions before {$var}
Markup('{$?|!@~var}', '<{$var}',
  '/\\{\\$([\\?\\!\\|@~])(\\w+)\\}/e',
  "HttpVariables(\$pagename, PSS('$1'), PSS('$2'))");

# {$?!|@~var} http variable substitutions after {$var}
Markup('{$?|!@~var}', '>{$var}',
  '/\\{\\$([\\?\\!\\|@~])(\\w+)\\}/e',
  "HttpVariables(\$pagename, PSS('$1'), PSS('$2'))");
===(snip)===

===(snip from markupexpr)===
Markup('{(', '>{$var}',
  '/\\{(\\(\\w+\\b.*?\\))\\}/e',
  "MarkupExpression(\$pagename, PSS('$1'))");
===(snip)===

I'm not familiar with having 2 rules like this in httpvariables...  In fact,
the more I look at it (noting that the name is identical) I'm wondering if
the 2nd doesn't overwrite the 1st?  That's a wild guess...  If that's the
case then they both have their markup order specified as '>{$var}' and I
don't know how pmwiki decides the order between the 2 -- probably something
to do with when they are defined?

I would be very tempted to comment out the 2nd Markup() call (the one that
has '>{$var}' as the 2nd argument) and see if that doesn't solve the
problem.

It's a shot in the dark, probably completely off the mark, but perhaps it
will help...

-Peter