[pmwiki-users] Pagelist in SideBar

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 31 12:48:16 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 02:11:17PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> How efficient or inefficient is it to put a pagelist into the
> Site/SideBar to show links to all (most) group's home pages?
>
> I remember talk that it seriously slowed pageloads down, on sites with
> lots of pages, since pagelist had to go through all of them.
> Is this still an issue, or is it better now?

I think it's much better now, but there are still quite a few
factors involved.  First is the question of the pagelist command
itself and what it might include or exclude.  There can be a
big speedup by setting $EnablePageListProtect = 0; since PmWiki
then doesn't have to check the permissions of each page that
will appear in the pagelist.

Then, of course, it depends on how many pages are on the site,
since more pages means that it takes longer to build the list of
potential pages.

It also depends on whether pagelist caching is been enabled -- e.g.:

    $PageListCacheDir = 'cache.d';

For this particular application -- i.e., generating a list of
groups and/or group home pages, I've been thinking that it may
be worthwhile to come up with an option to pagelist that does the
equivalent of "return group home pages only" or "return only one
page per group" (or other unique setting).  But I haven't quite
figured out the syntax or mechanism I want to use for this.

Still, I'd say to start out by trying it.  Perhaps post the
pagelist directive you're planning to use and I can analyze it
a bit further.

Hope this helps,