[pmwiki-users] newbie - login methods

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Tue Oct 30 10:41:14 CDT 2007

Duarte Carreira wrote:
> Hello.
>
> After the usual decision nightmare, I've settled with PmWiki! (at least
> I think so...)
>
> One major objective is to have a somewhat secure wiki that allows our
> team to login and edit pages. Everyone else can read.
>
> 1) only the team will be able to edit
> I used AuthUser and created a few users and put them in a Group. Then
> setup a password like the manual said:
> |$DefaultPasswords|
> <http://dnc1v2/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.SecurityVariables#DefaultPasswords>['edit']
> = array('@DIGC', '@admins');
>
> But I don't see any efect of this... everyone can edit everything.
>
> Unless I setup the Group security, by using the GroupAttributes page.
> But this is not a login, it's only a password.
>
> So, summing up:
>  * how can I have a login that gives edit privileges to a group of users?
>  * how to insert the user's login on edited pages/blog entries?
>  * is it possible for PmWiki to recognize a user's windows login
> automagically?
>
> Thank you all!
> Duarte Carreira

It looks like this call for help got buried in the group. I hope you're
still with PmWiki.

Yes, you will be able to have a wiki that a team can login and edit, and
everyone can read. Many of us have done that, including me.

To add an "allowed group" to a GroupAttributes page, you enter
@UserGroupName  or  id:UserName  instead of a password.

When PmWiki was first developed, only passwords were used. AuthUser came
about later. (Note to self, or anyone who tackles it first; this
question is so common that the manual may need tweaking. The default
text for action=attr should include it, too, now that AuthUser is part
of the core.)

You link UserName and Password on the Site.AuthUser page. (Note: I'm not
sure where that page ended up after Site group got split.) You put
people into groups on the same page.

Search the documentation for $EnablePostAuthorRequired; you set it in
config.php. I'm pretty sure it works for blog entries as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "recognize a user's windows login
automatically". The default is that it remembers the user until the
browser is closed (or browser session is ended). Details are on the site
or in the mailing list archives.

I hope this helps,

Sandy