[pmwiki-users] New version of FoxForum

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 04:24:40 CDT 2007

I uploaded a new release of FoxForum
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxForum
(prerequisites: PmWikiversion 2.2.0-beta, latest Fox)

Features:

* one page per topic.
* topic name can include spaces and special characters.
* one forum per group, multiple fora possible.
* display layout of messages (posts) via templates,
  independent from posted content pages.
* possibility of different layout for first post (topic post)
  and subsequent posts (comment posts), useful for blogs.
* styling of display layouts via stylesheet, default classes
  included in fox.css (see Fox), colour integration with Gemini,
  FixFlow and Triad skins.
* author can set display preferences on the author's Profiles page.
* author can set email address and website url, as well as personal
info including an avatar image on the author's Profiles page.
* individual posts can be deleted.
* post counter.
* access code field to prevent spam bots postings. Captcha could be
  integrated.
* subject (subheader), text and author name field.
* automatic breaking of page into subpages with easy navigation.
* easy creation of fora with different names (each in a different
  group).
* possible mail notification using FoxNotify, in various formats,
  including whole post content could be mailed to list of subscribers.

I also released updates for Gemini, FixFlow and Triad skins, which
contain new colour style definitions for the message box classes I use
in FoxForum.

The forum can be used with any skin.
To make it integrate nicely with the skin's colour scheme one can
define new attributes for classes
messagebox, messageheader, messagesubject, messageauthor and
messagefooter. These are the default class names used in the templates
provided with FoxForum.

Of course you can create your own template and style it the way you
like, with whatever style classes. Or skin authors may wish to add
colour and style support for these classes.

If you come up with good templates, please let me know, perhaps I can
add them to the other display templates.

Your feedback, especially bug reports, requests for future
development, hints for improvements are most welcome and very needed.
Developing this forum recipe has been a major work, I am amazed how
much is possible within Pmwiki.

I still like to extend this to create a blog bundle.
Also the "ForumX" version of a 'one comment per page' forum is still
to come for this new improved templating support.

  ~Hans