[pmwiki-users] possible fix for wikiform issue

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 19:47:13 CDT 2007

On Tuesday, 16 October 2007 3:44 AM, Asociacion de Robotica <emarte at aiolosrd.com> wrote:
>Hello Jhon,
><snip>
>
>My Question is: is there anyhow to create new pages from wikiform as follow
>-> Issues.P{$name}-00001, Issues.P{$name}-00002,
>Issues.P{$name}-00003,Etc ?

I will need to give this question some thought. It *may* be possible to add
this feature without breaking what's already there. Some questions come to
mind:

1. Am I correct that -nnnnn is unique? That is, we can't have both
  Issues.Pname1-00001 and Issues.Pname2-00001. It's nicer if we can
  use the existing "work out the next number to use" code. Or is it
  the combination of {$name} and number that is unique?

2. Does it have to be Issues.P{$name}-00001 or could it be
   Issues.00001-P{$name}? I expect we could implement either scheme, but if
   the latter is easier to code, is that acceptable?

3. When posting a new page, where does {$name} come from? Would we have a
   configuration variable that gives us the name of the form field to use?
   If the author leaves the field blank, is there a default value we use?

4. Assuming {$name} comes from a form field, what happens if an author
   changes its value? Or do we format the field for entry only for new
   records and make it a type 'hide' thereafter (i.e. it can't be changed)?

5. I assume you would want an option like (:wikilist prefix="Pname1":) to
   filter by project? And if prefix is unspecified, do we list all entries
   or filter by the default prefix from (3)?

6. Where do we tell it to use "P" at the start of the name?

7. What for you is the main benefit of including a prefix in the page name?
   Specifically, why not use Issues.00001 and have {$name} as a field on
   the issues form?

8. The "next" and "previous" links go by the number. With this scheme, is
   that still the case, or do we want the next and previous for the current
   {$name}?

I am starting to see how this could be implemented, but feel I need a clearer
view of the rationale, so I focus on what's important.

--
JR
--

       \_