[pmwiki-users] Separte SideBar Content for different group pages?

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Mon Oct 15 00:31:06 CDT 2007

Jeff wrote:
> Is it possible to have a different SideBar content for different group pages?

There's been a LOT of discussion of things lately that make one believe
that somehow all of the design elements are FIXED or limited.  You
REALLY can build you own flexible design, your own templates and have
just about anything you want.

The design I use on our intranet has context sensitive AND user
context sensitive SideBar and drop down menus (for example).
You really can do pretty much anything you want.  Our site
gives each user their own group where they have full password
protect (admin) rights.  We also have user and context replaceable
banners (including rotating banners).

An example of what you can do in a template:
<!--wiki:{$Group}.Title {$SiteGroup.Title-->

This pulls in the current group's Title page if
found, otherwise, it pulls in the SiteGroup's Title
page... else it pulls in nothing.

You can see how you can create very flexible contexts
with this.

A lot of skins use a FIXED graphic for the site logo.
Why?  You can just as easily have:

<!--wiki:{$SiteGroup}.Logo-->

And edit that page and put in whatever graphic or
content you like.

I encourage you to look at modifying an existing
skin template, or creating your own from scratch.
It's pretty easy to do and you can build pretty
much whatever look and feel you like.

Take a look at the attached sample template to
see one I've actually used that's pretty flexible.