[pmwiki-users] Web Feeds problem with $RecentChangesFmt customization

Daniel Roesler diafygi at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 13:33:50 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> The only way to get the RSS feeds to produce what
> you're wanting (one entry per edit) would be to substantially
> redesign the way feeds are generated and changes are stored in the
> system.
>
> Pm

I think I understand. The RecentChanges and AllRecentChanges pages get updated when a page is saved. The web feeds function looks at the list of pages on RecentChanges or AllRecentChanges and then goes and gets the appropriate information from those pages ($LastModifiedSummary, $LastModifiedBy, etc.).

However, I see a workaround solution to my problem. Please let me know if this is not possible. I could create a recipe that takes the completed RecentChanges or AllRecentChanges page and builds a RSS feed off of that page. It would look at the format, and, based on that format, analyze the page to obtain an array of data. Each row in the array would store the group, pagename, date, author, summary, and whatever else was in the format for each entry in the RecentChanges or AllRecentChanges page. So the webfeed would be built off of the RecentChanges or AllRecentChanges page itself. It wouldn't even look at any other page.

I think that this recipe could work in the cookbook, but hesitate to say that it should be included in the feeds.php script. Since this proposed recipe would only look at the RecentChanges or AllRecentChanges page, it could not include variables that weren't on that page. It makes the web feeds completely dependent on the *Changes pages.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your explanation. You're right in saying that it would require a new web feeds script or a fundamental change in the way changes are stored.

Daniel
diafygi at yahoo.com

http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html