[pmwiki-users] Web Feeds problem with $RecentChangesFmt customization

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 4 11:59:03 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:16:59AM -0700, Daniel Roesler wrote:
> [...]
> Why can't I use $ChangeSummary and $AuthorLink instead of
> LastModifiedSummary and $LastModifiedBy in the $FeedFmt array?
> I assume this is because $ChangeSummary and $AuthorLink are not
> global variables. Why does the time of the web feed only show
> the most recent time? How can a make the RSS feed display
> correctly like the AllRecentChanges page?

Short answer:  you can't, at least not with what we have now.
The issue is that things like $LastModifiedSummary and $LastModifiedBy
are page variables, meaning they represent a value stored for the page
as a whole.  PmWiki doesn't have a concept of holding separate variables
for each modification made to a page.

The RecentChanges and AllRecentChanges pages "work" because they're
simple wiki pages, and all that happens when a page is saved is
that the recent changes pages are updated with new information.
However, the source for RSS feeds are lists of pages, and not lists
of edits to a page.

(When using a recent changes page as the source for an RSS feed,
we're simply giving the feed a list of pages to display.  Neither
the feed nor the recent changes page recognizes that the entries
are representing separate edits.)

Hope this helps explain things, even if it doesn't answer the
final problem.  The only way to get the RSS feeds to produce what
you're wanting (one entry per edit) would be to substantially
redesign the way feeds are generated and changes are stored in the
system.