[pmwiki-users] Installing pmwiki on Linux LAN server problem

Maria McKinley parody at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 29 20:12:32 CST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 6:00 PM, hua <kerabu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/07, sti at pooq.com <sti at pooq.com> wrote:
>

> In that case, check the permissions on the pmwiki directory you created.
> It needs to be both readable and executable by apache. The same goes for
> the pmwiki.php file inside it
>

> On 11/29/07, hua <kerabu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 11/29/07, Maria McKinley <parody at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > > ok, next thing I would check is permissions and ownership. What is it
> > > for the pmwiki directory?
> > >

> > You got me there. I've totally no idea how to go about it on a linux
> system. I have no physical access to the server and are actually accessing
> it using putty from my workstation and using mc (Midnight Commander) to
> navigate here and there.
> >
> > I did chmod wiki.d dir to 777 as per the installation notes on pmwiki
> website. I'm not sure about the rest. What should it be? I'll do a ls -l on
> pmwiki dir and get back to you once I get back to office tomorrow.
> >

> Hi Maria, sti,
>

>   Here's what the permissions are right now. What needs to be changed and
> how? TIA.
>
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Nov 29 10:32 pmwiki/
>
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root hua 1024 Nov 29 10:30 cookbook/
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root hua 1024 Nov 29 10:30 docs/
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root hua 1024 Nov 29 10:30 local/
> -rw-rw---- 1 root hua 78605 Nov 13 23:30 pmwiki.php
> drwxrwxr-x 5 root hua 1024 Nov 29 10:30 pub/
> -rw-rw---- 1 root hua 1992 Jun 2 2006 README.txt
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root hua 1024 Nov 29 10:30 scripts/
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 1024 Nov 30 09:49 wiki.d/
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root hua 4096 Nov 29 10:30 wikilib.d/

You need to determine what user apache runs as. This is normally set
in /etc/apache/httpd.conf, look for User and Group. In my
configuration both User and Group are www-data, so if this is the case
with you type

chown -R www-data:www-data pmwiki

This will change all of the files in the pmwiki directory so they can
be read by your apache process.

~maria