[pmwiki-users] Thumblist² - new version of the PmWiki picture gallery

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Wed Nov 28 21:49:32 CST 2007

Friends,

Almost exactly one year and 45 releases after the publication of the first
version of Thumblist, I have the pleasure to announce Thumblist², a
completely rewritten thumbnail gallery script for PmWiki with many new
capabilities. :-)

I am gratefull to all the users who tested the gallery during its first year
of existence, and who gave me great ideas for improvements. Thanks! :-) Also
thanks again to the friends who sent me a postcard [1]. And most of all
thanks to Patrick for the great free software that he wrote and maintains and
from who I am learning a lot, both as a writing style and as a philosophy.

The new version of the gallery is at the same time simpler with fewer in-page
parameters and much more flexible for advanced users. This is the reason
there had to be some changes in the parameters and configurations. Features
that were not generally used can now be moved to local customizations.

The script should also be lighter as some of the code used only in special
occasions was moved to an external file, loaded only when needed.

The new gallery is extremely flexible. It is fully configurable and most
components are replaceable and extendable by user-defined ones : HTML
snippets, ordering, user-defined swappable and derivable functions (much more
in the spirit of PmWiki). It is now possible and easy to write recipes or
plug-ins modifying most aspects of your galleries. You don't need to modify
the script itself, and it will hopefully not break on upgrades.

So, from now on, every new feature request for the Thumblist² gallery will be
evaluated whether there is a demonstrated general need for it and whether it
is in the line of the PmWiki philosophy [2]. If it seems it is not completely
the case, a recipe or plug-in could be provided.

The Thumblist² cookbook page on pmwiki.org:
   http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ThumbList

Main discussions are happening here:
   http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ThumbList-Talk

The Thumblist² documentation and testing website, with a number of recipes and
case studies:
    http://galleries.accent.bg/Thumblist2

Users upgrading from the previous version should read an outline of what has
changed in Thumblist²:
    http://galleries.accent.bg/Thumblist2/NewInVersion2

Any feedback is more than welcome, either in the recipe's talk page, in the
testing website, or by e-mail.

So, have fun, happy  holidays and I am again wishing you to shoot many nice
photos for your galleries. :-)

Thanks,
Petko

[1] The Thumblist gallery is Postcardware. If you have sent me a postcard, you
can have the new version for free. :-)
[2] http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiPhilosophy