[pmwiki-users] Music recipe

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Tue Nov 20 11:05:50 CST 2007

> > - gs

> I think what you downloaded is the source.
> Typically this would be expanded and then
> './configure' would be run followed by 'make'.
> If you do not have access to the commandline
> this will be very hard to ever get working
> since you do not have the ability to build
> things.  The alternative in such cases is
> usually to upload a staticly linked
> executable.  I am not sure that this is
> possible with gs.  I searched for one and
> could not find one online.  I downloaded
> the code and I do not see a switch to make
> this statically linked and if I did, I'm
> not sure that it would be legal to distribute
> due to some of the libraries that it uses
> which are under different licenses.

I cannot really follow you on the intricacies of legal matters or,
worse, computer programming.
Both are far beyond my shallow knowledge.
At the same time I would like to openly share my steps and progress in
accordion learning, so that others might freely benefit from it.
I've been thinking for a while, three ideas emerged, and I'm wondering
if they would work...

> I'm sorry that it seems that you do not
> have many choices in front of you.
> Sometimes that is the case with hosting
> situations, especially if you do not
> have command line access!

 - First idea -
What if I unpack the /ghostscript-8.60/ and /netpbm-10.26.45/ things
into my ubuntu linux computer at home, then try the two './configure'
and 'make' commands there, and later copy whatever file is resulting
into the /Cookbook/bin/ directory of my wiki?
Would that work or would it spoil my system, instead? (I fear the
latter, that's why I do not try it myself without asking first)

 - Second idea -
Does anybody know of any free service (something like the one I offer
here [1], as an instance) of any kind around the world. This way I
could maybe have the .gif images of the whole score generated
somewhere else.

 - Third idea -
I could install pmwiki and a server on a usb key and create the gif
score there, locally, on any pc at hand. Then copy/paste the relative
abc-music score to the wiki page and upload the static .gif and .pdf.

Although bulky and annoying, I'm afraid the latter is the only real
practical way for me to publish music scores and keep them in abc
format inside my wiki.

Are there please other ideas?

Luigi

[1] http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?userlang=en&n=Sparklines.HomePage#Service