[pmwiki-users] Music recipe -- pmwiki -- Luigi

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Thu Nov 15 07:17:49 CST 2007

I'm in the process of setting up the Music recipe [1], but I
completely fail to understand which, where and how the minimum
required additional files are to be loaded into the system. In the
recipe configuration a list if additional files are given as a simple
list of links, but they actually proved to be a convoluted, sticky
spiderweb.

My site runs on a cheap shared linux server [2], and I do not have
access to the command line (I use FilleZilla for uploading files).
I'll list them, so that if anybody has suggestions, please...

- abcm2ps

Martin Fick suggested I can use this file
http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/abcm2ps-4.12.30 and said I could make a
/bin/ directory under the /Cookbook/ directory.
He also wrote that copying it to the server and making sure that it
has the execute bit set (755) will probably do the trick.

- gs

This two-letter word links to a site from which a tar.gz file can be
downloaded. Once expanded, the "beast" turns out to be a huge folder
of more than 50 MB called /ghostscript-8.60/ which contains tons of
utterly disparate files and folders of any kind.
No way to understand how to use such a tool.

- pnmcrop and ppmtogif

It is not clear to me whether it must me added to the "gs" thing, or
is a mere alternative.
In any case, this link also brings to an expanded folder of over 8 MB
called /netpbm-10.26.45/ and this one also is crowded with any sort of
files and folders.

- abcMIDI

By following this link I ended up with an
abcMIDI-2007_03_18-1.i386.rpm file but I do not know how to handle it.
I know that my server runs on RedHat Linux, and as far as I've read on
the internet such a Linux system adopts .rpm files. But I know nothing
more, and I'm stuck anyway.
Coult that file also be placed in the /Cookbook/bin/ directory? Should
it be "processed" in some way? Or, maybe, is it simply the wrong kind
of file that I choosed...?

Thanks for any help.
Luigi

[1] http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Music
[2] Here are the php settings, in case they can be of any use
http://62.149.140.28/ver.php