[pmwiki-users] conditional for attachments

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:40:57 CST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 9:33 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 08:54:30AM -0600, Tegan Dowling wrote:

> > > that would be cool, one thing that I stepped over was, that if user
> > > upload a profile portrait they will upload it in different formats like
> > > jpg, png, so the conditional should be able ot detect the filename
> > > without the extension. But if wildcards ar supported this will probably
> > > work anyway .. .
> > >
> > > (:if attachment {*$Group}/{*$Name}-Portrait.*:)
> >

> > FYI, there's a least one other person who would use this, if it
> > existed.  I'd use it on profile pages, as noskule does, and also on
> > some blog-like pages.
>
> I wasn't planning on supporting wildcards in the conditional --
> would that be very important?
>
> Also, do we really want to solve this with (:if ... :)
> conditionals, or would it be better to come up with an Attach:-like
> syntax that can automatically find the correct image?  E.g., so
> someone could write
>
>   Attach:Profiles/Pm/image
>
> and have it automatically look for 'image.gif', 'image.jpg',
> and 'image.png' if 'image' doesn't exist.  (The administrator
> would be able to define the list of extensions to be searched.)
>
> That seems a lot nicer than
>
>     (:if attachexists Profiles/Pm/image.png:)Attach:Profiles/Pm/image.png
>     (:elseif attachexists Profiles/Pm/image.jpg:)Attach:Profiles/Pm/image.jpg
>     (:elseif attachexists Profiles/Pm/image.gif:)Attach:Profiles/Pm/image.gif
>     (:if:)
>
> OTOH, it's not clear what to do in the case where none of the
> images exist -- we don't want to create an upload link for 'image'
> without an extension.

In both of my uses for it, I'd want to show nothing -- that would be
the principle advantage of being able to do an (:if exists ...:).  So
I can have a template that will cause a page to display the
correspondingly named image if there is one, but won't display a
"wanted" link if there isn't an image.