[pmwiki-users] Pagelist in SideBar

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 04:17:38 CDT 2007

Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 5:48:16 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> For this particular application -- i.e., generating a list of
> groups and/or group home pages, I've been thinking that it may
> be worthwhile to come up with an option to pagelist that does the
> equivalent of "return group home pages only" or "return only one
> page per group" (or other unique setting).  But I haven't quite
> figured out the syntax or mechanism I want to use for this.

I like the idea to be able to set a particular page per group, not
necessarily the home page.

An example:

I just created a forum setup which encompasses multiple fora each in
its own group. For this I got in each group a page, say ForumPageList,
with this pagelist markup:

*'''[[ForumName/ | Forum Name]]'''
(:if group ForumName:)
(:pagelist group={*$Group} name=-{*$Group},-CreateNewTopic,-ForumConfig* >>>>
(:if:)

and on Site.SideBar I use a pagelist to include these pages:

%sidehead%[[Main/ | All Boards]]
(:pagelist name=ForumPageList fmt=#include:)

This does provide a list of all the fora index pages, and for the current
group it will show the topics underneath its heading link. So it is a
self-expanding menu in a way.

Now I have no idea how efficient/unefficient this is, when topic
numbers are going up high in the groups. The number of groups I expect
will stay relatively small.

Can you make suggestions as how to improve efficiency here?

  ~Hans