[pmwiki-users] RFC: Site-Admin group

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed May 30 10:26:04 CDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Based on responses in another thread [1], I'm of the opinion that things
> will be much easier in the long run if we create a separate "Site-Admin"
> group to hold strictly administrative pages.  The "Site" group would
> then be used to hold pages that are generally shared throughout a site.

Just as 'user case information', I also use the group Site/ to contain
more general type of information about the site. For instance, I have a
page Site.FAQ for questions about using the site etc.

> The biggest difference between the two groups is that Site-Admin would
> be read-restricted to admins by default, while Site would be generally
> open for reading by default.

How about 'Site-ReadRestricted'?

> As a result, the following pages in the core distribution would
> move into the Site-Admin group:
>
>    Site.AuthUser      --> Site-Admin.AuthUser
>    Site.AuthList      --> Site-Admin.AuthList
>    Site.ApprovedUrls  --> Site-Admin.ApprovedUrls
>    Site.Blocklist     --> Site-Admin.Blocklist
>    Site.InterMap      --> Site-Admin.InterMap
>    Site.NotifyList    --> Site-Admin.NotifyList

What's the reason Site.InterMap should be read-restricted?
(The others I understand at once)

> Third is the issue of migration.  If adopted, we would undoubtedly end
> up with a $SiteAdmin variable that identifies the group for Site-Admin
> pages, analogous to the way the $SiteGroup variable works for Site
> pages.

How about calling the variable '$SiteAdminGroup' (or whatever) for
consistency?

> An administrator that wants to continue to use 'Site.*' for all of the
> above pages can simply set $SiteAdmin to 'Site' and everything will work
> as before.

I'll do it like this.

/Christian