[pmwiki-users] using PTVs as shortcuts for conditionals

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Tue May 29 16:34:10 CDT 2007

I tried to use page text variables in a tricksy kind of way, and I'm
curious why it didn't work.  I have a long if/elseif set of conditionals
like so:

(:if condition 1:)
message 1
(:else if condition 2:)
message 2
(:else if condition 3:)
message 3
(:else if condition 4:)
message 4

and I want a whole bunch of other stuff (including pagelists, which have
their own conditionals and so end any conditionals in the containing
page) to happen only if all of those tests are false.  So I followed
message 4 with this:

(:flag: yes:)

so that rather than testing conditions 1 through 4 over and over again I
could just test for

(:if equal {$:flag} "yes":)

... but it doesn't work.  Are all the conditionals on the page evaluated
before all of the page text variables?  That can't be right, because I
can use other page text variables in conditionals... so where is the
proverbial rub?  --Ben