[pmwiki-users] registration form (side thread)

blork blork3 at rocketmail.com
Mon May 28 11:17:19 CDT 2007

Hello. Pardon me for busting in on this thread, but I arrived here
because I can't figure out how to lock down my pmwiki. To be precise, I
don't understand why everything I do according to all these
instructions in here and in pmwiki.org documentation has no effect.

My needs are very simple: I am the only person who needs to be able to
read or edit the files. Access should be totally blocked for others.
The wiki resides in my domain on the web, in a sub-folder.

I did all the config.php edits:

+++++++++++

 $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('A-PASSWORD');
 $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('B-PASSWORD');

include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");

 $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'id:*';

++++++++++

I also messed around in the Auth User page, creating an admin name and
password.

But it's still wide open for reading. Anybody with the URL can read all
of the pages. They need the "auth user" password to edit (which makes
me wonder if the "admin" and "edit" ones in the config.php are
unnecessary).

Note: wiki.d is set to 777 (otherwise the wiki won't save edits) and
pmwiki is set to 745.

A related problem: once logged in (with the Auth User login) there is
no way to log out. I even tried clearing cookies, etc., but it never
asked me to log in again, it just let me edit the pages. Shouldn't
there be a logout button or link somewhere?

Please let me know what's missing. If I can't lock down read access
then I won't be able to use the wiki. Be gentle with me, as I am far
from being an expert on this stuff. I'm a cut & paste guy, so I need
specific text, not just general ideas. Please talk to me like I'm a
noob.

Any help is greatly appreciated!