[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Mike Bishop mbishop at mtaonline.net
Wed May 23 22:01:19 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:36:27PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 04:35:18PM -0800, Mike Bishop wrote:
> > On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 05:26:08PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > >     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ImportText
> > >
> > > Note that this recipe requires pmwiki-2.2.0-beta51 (just released).
> >
> >      Initial tests (?action=import) seem fine.  These have been
> >      simple, without any strange markup (… — and
> >      such).
> >
> >      My first test, since I didn't have a test doc around, was
> >      simply to move a page from wiki.d to import, then import.
> >      This didn't work fine ... version info, %0a's etc., in the
> >      displayed page.  [...]
>
> Correct... I haven't implemented this part yet.  I do have
> some questions about it, however...
>
> Suppose that someone places a PmWiki-formatted page file
> into the import directory.  How much information should
> import take from that file?  Should it simply update the
> text portion of an existing page (treating it as an update),
> or should it also grab things such as passwords and/or
> page history from the imported file?

>From /my/ perspective, I am importing a wiki page as an
alternative to 'copy and paste' from the local mirror.

So, just updating the text portion would be what I expect.
But others may have different views of course. (The
idea of importing 'passwords' sounds ugly ...)

On second thoughts, perhaps the import "author" should
overrule the $ImportAuthor variable, just in case more
than one person can upload imports.  Hmm, on third
thoughts, this is probaly too pedantic.

But I think that viewing "import" as a batch
alternative to "edit" keeps the semantics clean, and
will not lead to surprises.  And edit -ne attr.

So far, BTW, import has worked on everything I have
thrown at it, including some really ugle stuff.  I don't
seem to have "drafts" working correctly here, but what
tests I have managed also work.

I am about to try embedding control characters next, but
I expect this to work (although some tables have got
confused with "escape" characters in the past--too many
years of vi, I guess).

Then I thought I would try "Site.AllRecentChanges" ....

> >      One small request -- could the "import successfull" message
> >      include a page count?
>
> Sure, I'll add this.

Thanks--could we have a blinking "working" message too :-)
(Somebody once asked me for that of a Unix system we
implemented, where the process in question was forked
from the screen display!)

Rgds,
--
Mike Bishop