[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed May 23 04:26:25 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:17:14AM +0200, Christophe David wrote:
> On 23/05/07, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > A question, though: what if the page one is importing already exists in
> > the wiki?  Would it simply overwrite it, or would it be treated as a
> > conflict?
>
> I would suggest to treat an imported file exactly like a manual edit,
> so that versioning and roll-back would remain available.
>
> Do you see reasons not to do so ?

I suppose I could work around it.  Actually, it may not be a problem, I
realize now, because I was thinking of an earlier script I'd written
to transfer the contents of an SQLite database into the wiki.  The
difficulty was that, while most of the data worked for
one-record=one-page, there were some parts of the data where it made
more sense to consolidate the information from more than one record
into one page.

The specifics were that a record would contain a file location, which on
conversion I would make into an Attach: link, but some parts of the data
had more than one file associated with them, and it made more sense to
simply attach the extra files to the same page, than to make more pages
for them.

However, since I've transferred all the data from that old database, I
don't need that old script any more.

The script I'm using now is designed to extract meta-data from the file
itself, pop up an edit window for me to make corrections, save the
corrected data as a wiki-page to the wiki, and move that file to the
appropriate uploads directory.  There are still things that have more
than one file associated with the meta-data, but I guess I could just
add them to the wiki by hand.  Or re-edit the import file, yeah, that
would work, so long as I could trigger the import by hand rather than
periodically.  Okay.  8-)

Kathryn Andersen