[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Ralph Zeller ralph at zellercpa.com
Tue May 22 10:16:16 CDT 2007

On 05/22/07 09am, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:40:27AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > If yes, then the problem is that PmWiki can't
> > see that a page has been created by an external program, and
> > therefore doesn't realize that the pagelist cache it's already
> > created is invalid.
>
> One way that we could improve things here would be to provide
> an avenue whereby an external application could create a plain
> text file somewhere, and then issue a command to PmWiki telling
> it to update the page with the contents of the text file.  Then
> PmWiki could handle generating all of the meta information it
> needs (targets=, invalidating caches, updating indexes, etc.).
>
> Suppose we have a "load directory" where external applications
> place the text content they want added to PmWiki.  Then, when
> PmWiki is told (or detects) that there are new pages to be
> converted, it just does the conversion.
>
> Of course, the tricky part in this is managing the files in the
> directory.  For example, after PmWiki has finished converting
> a text file in the load directory into a page, should it eliminate
> the original text file?  Or should it leave it there, but somehow
> keep a marker of which files it has processed?  Or what other
> options would there be?
>
> Pm

Being able to search external pages would be a really nice feature.  It
would be even better if there was a table to define filters for files
with extensions like .htm, .doc, .pdf, .xls, etc.  In other words,
provide a means for PmWiki to create the text file when the other
application can't do it automatically.  That way, I wouldn't need an
external search engine to find those types of files on my wiki.

It would also be nice to be able to search external pages that start
with "http://someserver".  Could the "load directory" include an array
of local directories, and some URLs, too?

Ralph