[pmwiki-users] "Official" release of UserAuth2 recipe

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri May 18 14:51:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:47:43PM -0400, IchBin wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:37:12PM -0400, IchBin wrote:
> >> I think you can use recipes along side of AuthUser for user
> >> authentication but this seems to be just for user authentication. It
> >> does not seem to store access rules from what I can tell. These are the
> >> authentication possibilities with AuthUser:
> >>
> >>   - Password-formatted File (.htpasswd)
> >>   - LDAP
> >>   - Password from MySql or Postgres Database
> >>   - XML-RPC Authentication
> >
> > Also:
> >     - authentication via the webserver
> >     - PHP settings ($AuthUser)
> >     - Active Directory (via LDAP)
> >
> > It's also pluggable, in that one can create custom
> > authentication modules for other sources (e.g., I've
> > been thinking of creating an OpenID authenticator).
> >
> > Pm
>
> Sorry pm, I assume that by mentioning the .htpasswd file that people
> would realize that would be managed ala server.

There's two aspects to it.  One way to do it is to have the
server authenticate people using .htpasswd (in which case the
server provides the authenticated ID via REMOTE_USER), and
the other is to have PmWiki perform the authentication using
a file formatted in htpasswd format.

> And again assumed that people would know that by default the
> AuthUser recipe would internally manage via $author. I will be more descriptive.

No problem, just wanted to maintain completeness.  :-)