[pmwiki-users] Recipe Redundency... problems?

IchBin weconsultants at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:34:47 CDT 2007

The Editor wrote:
> On 5/17/07, the Other michael <xraysmalevich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking as a user, and somebody that's poked around (though not in
>> the past month) within JITS -- the two recipes are quite different.
>> JITS is not a "re-hash" of PITS, but a different approach to the
>> problem.
>>
>> As Jiri said -- JITS was designed to be wiki-resident. With the
>> exception of the ZAP requirements (and Zap's AuthUser requirement)),
>> the JITS code is only wiki pages (with zap markup). This mean those
>> with edit privileges do not have to work with config & other php
>> files, etc. to customize their installation. Plus, when JITS upgrades
>> their customizations will remain intact.
>
> Actually just to note:  ZAP does not require Auth User unless you are
> using one or more of its member/group management functions. It has not
> required AuthUser since around the end of 2006 if I recall correctly.
>
>> The Cookbook has several instances of multiple approaches. This is
>> redundancy in the best sense -- multiple solutions from multiple
>> perspectives, so the user can pick the best match for their particular
>> needs.
>>
>> I don't believe there was ever a JITS version that did NOT require ZAP.
>
> It's also worth noting that Jiri has done a wonderful job maintaining
> this recipe, keeping up with both PmWiki and ZAP upgrades (not an easy
> task), providing support, and constantly adding new features--which
> makes it an especially nice choice. I tried looking at PITS for ideas
> long ago, when I was scoping out the development of ZAP, and found it
> quite awkward and a bit incomprehensible.
>
> Just an unsolicited plug for Jiri's issue tracking system.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Don't get me wrong and hope no one takes it personal. I just wanted to
ask those questions. I am new to pmWiki but unfortunately old having 30
years of operating and application programming experience. Maybe I just
tripped over my experience when I tried to asked those few questions...

--
Thanks in Advance...           http://weconsultants.prophp.org
IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA  http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com