[pmwiki-users] "Official" release of UserAuth2 recipe

ThomasP pmwikidev at sigproc.de
Thu May 17 13:49:16 CDT 2007

Hello everybody in the pmwiki community,

I have waited quite long but it is meanwhile more than time for this
announcement:

The new UserAuth module, called UserAuth2, is there!

Originally actually thought only as a reimplementation of the former one,
this module introduces some new features that I just happened to need. To
name a few of them:

* silent granting of permissions based on IP address
* wildcards in specifying page permissions
* page permissions depending on $AuthId, allowing "personally" accessible
pages

Thomas

One may ask: why holding up another authorization module besides AuthUser?
The thing is that I had the impression (maybe only from myself) that many
newcomers to PmWiki tend to opt for a more "intuitive" (simple? familiar?)
way of handling the authentication/authorization than is provided by
AuthUser. (Note the quotation marks: I meanwhile can see quite clearly the
advantages of AuthUser, still I would suggest that having the choice in
the beginning is preferable.)

There are also other points which may be of long term interest:

For example Kathryn recently wanted to open up discussion pages alongside
"usual" pages which would be editable also for guests. The point was not
to screw up the page name format for this end. With UserAuth2 this could
be done easily having a

ed_*-Discussion

entry in the GuestUsers permission table.

The question is (as motivated by IchBin's question about JITS with
AuthUser), and I would like to invite some discussion about this:

How much compatibility support should UserAuth2 provide to and expect from
other Cookbook recipes in the future?

I would not mind to see UserAuth2 to be interchangably usable besides
AuthUser if this is "technically possible" (this would be the most
desirable solution for many users (to come)), which would need at least
some initial coordination and standardization and will lead probably to
some extra work, possible also on other recipes.

I'm open for other ideas though.

Thomas