[pmwiki-users] Pagelists, stopwatches, and caches (was: Pagelists caching)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 16 23:56:34 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 08:03:57PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> But from here on out, the steps are as slow as before.
>
>   00.11 00.11 PageListSort begin
>   02.42 02.22 PageListSort end
>   02.42 02.22 MakePageList end
>
> Because our sort criteria is $:Summary, we have to read all
> of the 922 pages to get their $:Summary value and perform the sort.
> As before, this takes a little over 2 seconds to achieve.
>
> At this point I hear everyone yelling out...
>
>    "WAIT!  We shouldn't have to do the sort over again...
>     the caching algorithm should be saving the pagelist
>     AFTER the sort, not before!!"
>
> Actually, in this case (and in many/most cases) caching
> the sorted output turns out to not save us much time overall.

Thinking about this further, caching the sorted version of the
list (where appropriate) *would* save us some time when the
count= parameter is present, because then we would end up
reading only a subset of the pages instead of the entire
set that was used for sorting.

So, I guess this means I'll look into ways to (smartly)
cache the sorted pagelists instead of repeating the sort.
However, the timings for the example I gave would still
likely remain much the same.