[pmwiki-users] pagelist pagination

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 16 15:35:36 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:29:21PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > If we ignore the possibility of some pages not being
> > displayed by (:if:), the problem does become much simpler.
>
> And would that not be a reasonable approach:
> ignoring the possibility of some pages not being displayed by (:if:)
> in a template, and rather promoting the use of if= in the pagelist,
> as Pm says it is in any case far more efficient.

Yes, it's a very reasonable approach, which is partially why
I mention it here.  :-)  But it also means that much of what
people have built using (:if:) may not work well with counts,
which is likely to cause some confusion.  And some people
will use (:if:) out of habit, and then be confused by the
results.

Overall we want to reduce confusion.  :-)

> If people will not use conditionals in templates and use them in the
> pagelist, we should get accurate results. And there should be relative
> little need to use (:if ...:) in templates.

Even if there's relatively little need, people are still going
to be inclined to use (:if:), because that's what they "know".
(People tend to expect things to work the same everywhere.)

> So in order to get a working count I am quite prepared to hear that
> using conditionals in the template may muck up the count, and please
> use the conditional in the pagelist instead.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I'm keeping it in mind, but I want
to see if there are other approaches that cover both situations
first.  :-)