[pmwiki-users] Pagelists caching

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 16 08:57:08 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 07:01:58AM +0200, Christophe David wrote:
>      One drawback is of course the performance: a filtered/sorted/well
>      presented pagelist with 2.500 pages/rows takes about 30 seconds to
>      render on my host, which is much too long to be acceptable.  The data I
>      store do not currently change often (less than once a week).
>
>      I understand there is work in progress on pagelist caching.  Can we
>      expect major speed improvement or is it not realistic ?

As long as pages aren't being updated frequently on the site, pagelist
caching ought to help quite a bit here.

Also note that for large pagelists the bulk of the time is often spent
in rendering the pagelist template, not in computing the pagelist itself.

There are also some optimizations we can put in place for speeding
up searches on pagelist text variables -- I've yet to add this.

>      If not, or as a quick improvement before more important changes, could
>      we somehow add an option to the pagelist markup like "StoreresultToPage=
>      groupname.pagename", that would save the result to a static page (which
>      would not need to be recalculated each time) ?
>      If yes, this could be further improved by letting this process
>      automagically happen once every n minutes, so that only one visitor
>      every n minutes would have to wait for the full generation ?

Would you be willing to accept that the results would be incorrect
for up to 'n' minutes after changing a page?

My suggestion is to try enabling the pagelist cache and see if
there's any improvement.

     $PageListCacheDir = 'work.d';