[pmwiki-users] Slashdotting?

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sun May 13 11:14:30 CDT 2007

On 2007-05-12 Stirling Westrup is rumoured to have said:
> So, what's the best way to prepare PmWiki for a possible slashdotting? Any advice would be appreciated.

A page of mine (Alas! not PmWiki) was slashdotted twice on a machine
that was much more heavily loaded and much less powerful than yours. The
uplink speed was 1.2 Mbit/s.

I had no idea it would be slashdotted, so I was not prepared at all. The
only effect was that the mail server running on the same box slowed down
a bit. I did get some very impressive (to me) activity graphs from the
web server (WebStar on Mac OS9).

The slashdotting peaks lasted about 8 hours.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/