[pmwiki-users] Creating wiki files externally

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri May 11 07:49:34 CDT 2007

On 5/11/07, writeon1 <writeon1 at mchsi.com> wrote:
> I keep data in a database and generate html or wiki files using the
> report writer. Then I upload to my website. I've found this very time
> consuming to do for pmwiki, although I have succeeded with much effort.
>
> On the other hand, I find it easy to create text files containing data
> with Pmwiki markup that I can cut-and-paste into wiki pages and save,
> leaving the hard part to Pmwiki. I wish there was a way to batch load
> these marked-up text files so that Pmwiki would convert them for me
> without the cut-and-paste.
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan

I've thought about doing something like this in ZAP.

1) create a import folder in your wiki and dump the text files into there.
2) have a ZAP command that simply says import. It scans each file in
the import folder, converts it to the right format, and then saves in
the wiki.d folder. Delete the original page.  Easy enough to do.

We would have to decide what to do about overwriting existing pages.
And how to fix the page names (ie strips off the txt ending?). But
nothing much by way of an obstacle

I've also wanted to do an export command, which takes a CSV list of
page names, reads the pages, extracts the page text, and saves to an
export (or a "txt") folder as a simple txt file. Also very easy.

I've even considered exporting fully rendered pages the same way to an
"html" folder. If the links could be converted properly it might be a
good way to create a functional "cache" of html pages ready for
viewing.

This is a bit more complex however, and there is already at least one
recipe that does something similar.

Cheers,
Dan