[pmwiki-users] Fox and mailform / was: mailform variant 4?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 9 14:00:24 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:53:28PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:20:01PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> >> I've been curious if this will allow for html enabled mail, and/or
> >> markup of the body content.
> >
> >Yes.  The target lines in Site.MailFormList allow specifying
> >a template, along with defaults.
> >I'm still working out some of the the minor details, but this is
> >the broad outline of how I expect it to work.
>

> Very nice as always.  Is it possible to render markup on some text so
> wiki markup could be sent in the email message, perhaps conditionals,
> etc? I'm even thinking mail merging with text vars from a profile page
> or whatever.

I'm not planning to support wiki markup in the body of the text,
if only because I don't like the idea of sending HTML emails.

I've been thinking that one would be able to substitute
page text vars with a {$$:var} markup... but that's still
speculative at this point.

> If you are not moving that direction, could you suggest how to do it?
> Just run PRR on the output, and maybe cap it with a <html><body> +
> ending tags?

You would want to run MarkupToHTML() on the entire body text, and
then add any additional <html>...</html> wrappers.

The PRR() function does nothing more than tell the MarkupToHTML
engine to restart processing.  PRR() doesn't do any processing of
its own.  Beyond that, in the version I have the MarkupToHTML() is
not ever called when processing the mail request.

> I've had someone ask for this, and it seems it shouldn't
> be too hard to implement in ZAP. Though it could introduce some
> complexities...

Tons of them, which is why I'm not planning to head in that direction.