[pmwiki-users] Group passwords\login

IchBin weconsultants at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:09:59 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:23:24PM -0400, IchBin wrote:
>> I have been methodically reading through the documentation about setting
>> passwords for a single group (GroupAttributes) and giving read\write
>> access. I am finding the documentation to be all over the place with out
>> any solid top down examples. I mean I start reading one password doc
>> page then that points me to a chain of other document pages.
>>
>>   All I want to do is:
>> - Hide all of a groups menu items for a particular Group.
>> - Have a login menu Item that  asks for the group read password.
>> - Then if validated it displays all of the Group menu items and brings
>> up the groups home page.
>
> ...One quick question:  By "menu items" are you referring to
> the links that typically get displayed at the top right
> of each page?

Patrick, thanks for you speed response. Actually I meant the menu items
on the left margin. I have it sorta working for admin. Well at least for
the login\logout but the login is ala the top edit select which is not
what I want for a group user to use to login for the initial read
access. For write access after that it's ok to used the top edit menu
item because his particular group is now visible to the authorized person.

Building a account name\password item on the left side menu is what I am
really shooting for to be the starting\ending point. It would look like
what I have on my website, http://weconsultants.prophp.org, but be
functional. This is not for my website.

>> Any one give me some direction other than using a recipe. Could be me
>> but the documentation seems very discontinuous.
>
> It is.  Part of the problem is that there are so many different
> approaches to this, and many people write documentation assuming
> a single approach.  I'm hoping that some PmWiki magazine articles
> will eventually give some clearer examples.
>
> Pm

You have a fantastic product but without good documentation it is
meaningless. I do not want to use any recipes that play with security. I
have to know top down what is going on. This is not a hobby and it has
real consequences.

--
Thanks in Advance...           http://weconsultants.prophp.org
IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA  http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com