[pmwiki-users] Wiki On A Stick

J. Meijer commentgg at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 21:08:25 CDT 2007

On 5/1/07,  The Editor  wrote:
> I'm fixing to install a good all in one web server on my new laptop so I can take PmWiki on the road for my next trip.  I've been thinking of using XAMP.  Anyone have any recommendations?

I use Abyss Web Server and after trying several others with much dissatisfaction I have never looked back. I often use low end systems and Apache simply doesn't run well enough on them. So I've become hooked on Abyss. I believe on a personal webserver there is little need for modrewrite etc (though Abyss has the capability).

When friends take interest and want a copy of a particular install, a small install proves very helpful.

So I added this to http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiOnAStick :

--------------------------------
For those that just want to run a good reliable and compact webserver on Windows with a FastCGI PHP setup, look no further then Abyss Webserver. It installs in little over 0.5Mb (just delete the redundant docs folder) and can be run without installation, directly from a pendrive.
Note: If you don't install on a PenDrive/MemoryStick, you can download a complete Abyss+PHP package from http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html

To make a memory-stick install, do as follows:

1. Download the Abyss Webserver and install it. You'll uninstall it later on.
2. Download the windows installer for PHP and install it. You'll uninstall it later on.

3. Make a folder in the root of the pendrive, named Web.

4. Locate the Abyss Web Server folder in Program Files. Copy it to your Web folder.

5. Do the same for the PHP folder. Within Web rename it as PHP.

6. You now have 2 folders inside Web: Abyss Web Server and PHP. Download abyss.conf.txtΔ and copy its contents into the abyss.conf in the Web/Abyss Web Server folder. Save.

7. Copy an install of pmwiki into Web.

8. Use. Go to a computer, plug in the pendrive, locate the abyssws.exe webserver in Web/Abyss Web Server and execute it (or create a shortcut in the rootfolder of the pendrive). Now browse to http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1 and enjoy.

Clean-up: uninstall Abyss and PHP.

Note: the logon used to configure the webserver is -- with password --
Note: a similar procedure may work at other platforms.

Not affilliated :)

/jm

ps Just checked out the 'lite' version that is XAMPPlite: a 20Mb package that unzips to 50Mb. If bigger were better I'd be using MediaWiki ;)