[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 25 23:36:26 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 12:04:56AM -0400, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
> On 2007-03-25 Patrick R. Michaud is rumoured to have said:
> >Still, it can always be done as a configuration variable, so that
> >setting $EnableWSPre to a number such as 1, 4, or 8 results in requiring
> >that number of leading spaces to treat lines as preformatted text.
>
> If you went down this route, could you not use $EnableWSPre = 0 to
> indicate no preformatted text generated by spaces?

That was my intent, yes.  (I forgot to explicitly mention that, sorry.)

> If PmWiki shipped with $EnableWSPre = 1, then it would require no
> changes on any existing sites, but admins who wanted to change the
> behaviour could just set the number they wanted.

Yes, but this is one of those cases where I'm thinking PmWiki's default
setting still needs changing.  What got me to thinking that we need a change
is the number of *wiki administrators* (not authors) that are being tripped
up by the existing leading whitespace rule.  If admins are having trouble
with it (and they are), I'm sure authors are having trouble also.

So, much like we changed PmWiki's default for wikiwords to "off" to make
things easier for new site administrators, I'm thinking perhaps we ought to
do a similar thing with the leading whitespace rule.

> I also assume that you meant to say "requiring *at least* that number of
> leading spaces".

Yes.

Based on recent comments I've updated the vote page [1] with
more details about how this will be implemented, and added a new
option for "four or more leading spaces produce preformatted text".
Feel free to revise your votes on that page.

Note that the option of "prevent preformatted text from producing
wide pages" is not mutually exclusive to the other options.

Thanks!

Pm

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/VoteOnLeadingWhitespace