[pmwiki-users] i18n updates

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Mar 20 16:55:14 CDT 2007

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

>> This list can also be used as a starting point for a better
>> organization and separation of pmwiki.org contents and the pages in
>> the distribution. I still think that pages for the distribution should
>> be marked some way.
>
>I'm generally in favor of this, at least for the non-English sets.
>We can do it one of several ways:
>
>1.  Any pages that are to be included in an i18n-xx.zip distribution
>    could define a (:i18n:xx:) page text variable.  For example, any
>    page (from any group, including Site.*) that belongs in the
>    i18n-de.zip file would be tagged with (:i18n:de:).  My script

Are there currently i18n pages outside their dedicated group? Or do
you intend to change the organization of the pages?

>    that creates the i18n-xx.zip files would then use these
>    tags to determine which pages belong in the distribution.
>2.  Each language section could define a 'Manifest' page that identifies
>    (as a trail) all of the pages to be included in the distribution.

IMO "1" is easier to maintain than "2". I dislike to edit two places
for one change. These lists are usually outdated (see
"StandDerÜbersetzung").

>3.  We could have a master 'I18N-Manifest' page on pmwiki.org that
>    identifies the pages to be included in each language pack
>    (as a wikitrail).

Even harder to maintain than "2".

The goal is to find a cluster of documentation pages suitable for the
distribution.

There shouldn't be unnecessary pages in the distribution. The
(:i18n:xx:) page text variable would make this easier (more secure
that pages aren't added inadvertently).

The should be no (few) links to pages outside of the documentation
cluster - this includes detection of missing pages (or pages with
missing tag). But ?action=refcount currently can't check for page text
variables, so I had to make a test installation with an empty wiki?

Maybe a versatile cross reference tool would be useful for this and
several other maintenance tasks.

I'm not very happy with the clumsy hack I used for example to produce
DocumentationXref, so I will try to improve it when I find the time.
But it was useful to find the group of pages referenced from a set of
starting points (Site.EditQuickReference, Site.Search,
Site.UploadQuickReference) and to check "DocumentationIndex" for
missing and unnecesary references.

Oliver