[pmwiki-users] Secondary wiki / backup wiki?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:21:49 CDT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:07:19AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> The wiki I'm working with (wiki.lyx.org) suffered a problem for a week
>> because the host machine was down. In this situation it would have been
>> good to have been able refer people to a secondary wiki, or a backup wiki.
>>
>> Has anyone tried to implement or use something like this?
>>
>> I'm thinking of a system that quickly lets you set up the wiki on a second
>> machine, accept changes and then transfer these changes back to the
>> original machine when it gets back up again.
>
> If you could ensure that the backup machine only had editing enabled (or
> was only visible) when the main machine went down, then it could be done
> by using something like rsync or unison to copy files between the
> machines. Since PmWiki is file-based, one could simply copy the pmwiki
> directory (including wiki.d etc) from the "master" machine to the
> "slave" machine, once you had the slave machine set up to actually run
> the wiki.

I just realised that there are some limitations here... For instance, I
have many InterMap prefixes pointing to e.g. wiki.lyx.org defined with
Site/InterMap. These would also have to be changed.

Even just a non-editable rsync'ed copy is tougher than I expected (if you
want all links to work).

/Christian