[pmwiki-users] RFC: capitalization collision handling

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Mon Mar 12 15:10:48 CDT 2007

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

[force new links and pagenames to the existing capitalization]

> So, if I understand it correctly, you're wanting to prevent
> creation of pages with names that differ only in case from
> an existing page?

Correct. I'm sure that most of the >70 "conflicting" pages and groups
in pmwiki.org/wiki have been created by mistake, and these duplicates
are bad in some respects.

> Yes, this can be done, but I think I'll leave it for a recipe

Ack. I considered doing so, but I found that my knowledge about php
and PmWiki is so poor that I postponed it.

Programming the small perl hacks to check the pmwiki.org pages for
conflicts and doing the directory benchmarks showed me that I'm too
much a low-level programmer - hashes of arrays are used rarely in
tiny microcontrollers...

> instead of doing this in the core (unless there's a huge
> amount of demand for this feature).
>
> Preventing the creation of a new group differing only
> in case from an existing group is slightly harder, but
> could also be done.

I don't yet see the difference - the group list builds along with the
page list during the directory scan.

Getting slightly off topic: Maybe it's useful also for other purposes
to have a complete list of existing groups and pages built on each
page submit.

IIRC, there is currently no fast method to get a list of existing
groups, or only to check whether a certain group exists?

Cookbook/LimitWikiGroups, Method 2, could be improved this way.

BTW: I would prefer a warning when someone tries to create a new
group, but he should be able to do so if he confirms.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen