[pmwiki-users] Headers are not sending charset !

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Mon Mar 12 02:45:16 CDT 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 08:22, Athan wrote:
> "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote in message
> news:20070311231003.GF1629 at host.pmichaud.com...
>
> > If you could save me the trouble of identifying the specific PITS
> > pages for each of these... I may be able to see about solving some of
> > these (e.g., case-insensitive utf-8 searches) while I'm in the process
> > of cleaning up i18n in general.
>

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00503
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00703
>
> The worst problem for a documentation tool such as pmwiki it the searching
> case sensitivity issue. In a university intranet I'm using pmwiki to
> publish more than 8.000 pages of text (ancient Greek literature indexes).
> Students complain that they have to search using the exact case to be able
> to find all text occurrences. I'm sure you understand the problem.
>
> As already told before, there are many other issues with utf-8, most of
> them with reciepts. Given the fact that most reciepts use single byte
> regex, utf-8 issues is something expected. However I know that you cannot
> do anything for that, except maybe consider using utf-8 as the single-one
> default encoding for pmwiki core.

I strongly support the possibility UTF-8 case-insensitive search. If not
possible right now, at least a change in PageIndexTerms() from a
hardcoded "strtolower" to a variable that can be customized by a recipe and
tested for some time by us.

The proposed patch at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00682 looks really good.

Thanks,
Petko