[pmwiki-users] Edit Template for a group

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 12:51:13 CDT 2007

Sunday, March 11, 2007, 5:02:20 PM, Dr wrote:

> IMHO, the problem still remains that the PMwiki solution to the Edit
> Template issue is not wiki like at all, rather it's a programming kludge
> shoe horned into the local config file.  I guess I expect more of a
> NotifyList like wiki solution out of PMWiki.  Perhaps it would be
> helpful if the default local/config came predefined with
> "$EditTemplatesFmt = '$Group.Template'; ".  Then presumably one could
> just proceed to create Template files for every group without php
> definition hassles.  With this list's help, at least I can proceed
> beyond this now.

This solution may suit your needs, but not everyone's. It is just a
solution from a huge variety. I think PmWiki assumes correctly that a
standard new page open for edit is empty and not populated from a
template. Therefore $EditTemplatesFmt is not defined by default.

If you look for a more wiki-like solution which lets you define which
template page (or none) to use for new pages you could create a
GroupName.PageActions page and add a new edit link or modify
the existing edit link like
[[{*$FullName}?action=edit&template=EditTemplate | $[Edit] ]]

But defining $EditTemplatesFmt will open every new page with content
from a template page.

I added "See Cookbook:EditTemplates for more information." to
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables#EditTemplatesFmt
which hopefully helps in future to find more info easier about
EditTemplates.

Hans