[pmwiki-users] Annoying question: Why do people switch toPmWiki?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Fri Mar 9 11:33:44 CST 2007

On Friday 09 March 2007 04:37, Pierre Racine wrote:
> -I do not have to fight with a database. I can copy my whole site on my
> machine in 10 seconds, make a major modification and but back my modif on
> the web very easily.

This is a plus for us as well.  One less DB account is always nice, especially
when you're doing several wikis, then it translates to several less DB
accounts.  If you're running under fastcgi, then you can even run the scripts
as a different user for additional security.

One feature I haven't seen mentioned yet, and which was a *HUGE* factor in us
choosing PmWiki was the built in support for wiki farms.  One code base, and
copy a few files into a new directory, and viola, an entirely new wiki.
Being able to set up a new wiki in 15 minutes (or less) and to keep only one
code base that can be updated in one pass is a big plus.  Right now we're up
to seven wikis (and I expect that to grow).  It's nice to not have to
maintain and upgrade seven different installations.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111