[pmwiki-users] WikiRefactoring [was: Does this list inhibit development of good documentation?]

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:55:30 CST 2007

Actually, rather than PmWiki/WikiRefactoring, it could be
WikiEttiquette/WikiRefactoring. I think PmWiki is better used as
documentation as that is the group shipped with a new copy of PmWiki.
The group name could do with some rework, as it could easily be
"UsingPmWiki" or WhatHaveYou. :-)

BenWilson

On 3/6/07, Michael_Paulukonis at divintech.com
<Michael_Paulukonis at divintech.com> wrote:

> >So, its up to you
>  - use PmWiki more,
>  - use the mailing list less
>  - write and refactor
>
> With that in mind, Simon*, I've started up a new page:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiRefactoring   A good
> chunk of your mail below could be dropped in there. As well as other entries
> in the "thread."
>

> Where should this page be? It's not a Cookbook recipe; and the other other
> applicable group seems to be PmWiki -- but is that to be "Reserved" for
> documentation?
>

> *your profile seems to be
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Profiles/Simon correct? And I am
> OtherMichael, in the interests of full disclosure.
>
> ----------
>
> Message: 2
>  Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:18:57 +1300
>  From: Simon <s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz>
>  Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Does this list inhibit development of
>       good
>                  documentation?
>  Cc: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
>
>  I think the short answer is yes.
>
>  It is tooo easy for a quick question to be flicked off,
>  instead of ''reading the documentation''.
>
>  Thinking about what you want and reading documentation is hard,
>  getting someone else to think for you is easy.
>
>  UseMod is a wiki with NO email list. - this is good.
>  Consequently its website (eating its own dog food) is better polished
>  and up to date.
>
>  The longer answer is that it is incumbent on us to
>  * refer to the seemingly most pertinent documentation we have searched
>  in our quest for an answer
>  * update the documentation with the answer after we receive it, or
>  * if the answer was already there, add a few links and references from
>  where we thought it would be to where it is.
>

>  Documentation isn't a linear or a hierarchical thing.
>  Its a network.
>  What we need is content and navigation.
>
>  Content is simply a matter of thinking about what needs to be said,
>  and then writing it down.
>
>  Navigation is subtler. Its a personal thing.
>
>  PmWiki is admirably provided with navigation through the page and group
>  structure,
>  search, categories.
>
>  So, its up to you
>  - use PmWiki more,
>  - use the mailing list less
>  - write and refactor
>
>  cheers
>
>  Simon
>
>  PS I use my profile page to list the documentation I find most valuable.
>
>  Michael J. Paulukonis
>  Programmer/Analyst
>  Diversified Information Technologies
>  570.207.2413 or 570.343.2300 x 3043

>  CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please
>  immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail
> [...]

Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" --- Churchill