[pmwiki-users] Does this list inhibit development of good documentation?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 10:25:41 CST 2007

Tuesday, March 6, 2007, 9:58:09 AM, Francis wrote:

> For me, I was able to learn most basic stuff that I needed from the
> Documentation Index, with a little effort.
> More advanced topics such as eexplanations of the PmWiki code would be
> useful though.

You find Pm often added explanations to functions inside the code
scripts. And we started to document major important functions in
the PmWiki group.

> When I started this thread, I was more referring to the
> Cookbookdocumentation than the core documentation - which I see as
> more of a problem, precisely because it is less complete and less well
> organised.

The cookbook is and will always be a work in progress. There are so
many contributors, each with their own style of documenting a recipe.
The cookbook index page Cookbook.Cookbook I agree is much less
organised than the PmWiki.DocumentationIndex. At least we have some
headings now. But recipes under some of the headings do not correspond
to categories, or the headings do not correspond to categories.

There are Administrative Tasks, and Functional Extensions, and quite
different recipes are listed under each, with very different
categories (if any).

Cookbook.Cookbook-ByCategory should automate the indexing of recipes,
and is doing  a good job. But not all recipe pages are updated to use
categories.

I wonder if we can introduce a new heading/category for
pagelist/search recipes?

Hans