[pmwiki-users] PmWiki as word processor (was: Page break when printing)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 2 10:27:44 CST 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:13:29AM -0500, Sandy wrote:
> christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> >> P.S. This thread of mines grew on the attempt to convince my little
> >> cousin to adopt pmwiki (instead of M$Word) for her university papers.
> >> Does anybody have live experience on this? Suggestions, advices,
> >> warnings...?
> >
> > I don't think it'd be a good idea - to slow to edit pages that way, and
> > her university will probably have requirements on the formatting.
>
> Much as I hate monopolies, I use Word for all but the smallest
> compositions, especially those to be printed. It's designed for it. More
> control over formatting (margins, page numbers), footnotes, and, very
> nice for large documents, the Document Map. I tried OpenOffice (or was
> it StarOffice?) a few years ago for my always-in-progress novel and it
> just didn't work as well.

Just to add more perspectives -- I also tried OpenOffice.org and
StarOffice a few years ago and at that time they weren't really
up to my needs.  But in the past few years OpenOffice.org has
improved a _bunch_, such that now find myself I using it far more
often than Microsoft Office.

Last night at a local meeting I also had someone repeat a request
for an OpenOffice-to-wiki converter... so perhaps we can look at
that.  :-)